Helping You Get The Benefits You Need

Free Consultations

Tuition help for children of injured workers

On Behalf of | Mar 9, 2018 | Workers' Compensation |

The high cost of going to college is a challenge for just about everyone. But for the children of parents who have suffered serious injuries or death, going to college can become an impossible dream.

Fortunately, help is available for many aspiring collegians. The Pinnacol Foundation provides scholarships for the children of people who have suffered serious injuries or death while working. Since 2000, the Foundation has provided $4.5 million in scholarships to almost 500 students.



How the program works

The Pinnacol Foundation is a charitable organization associated with Pinnacol Assurance, one of the largest providers of workers’ compensation insurance in Colorado.

Every year, the Foundation reviews scholarship applications from the children of injured and deceased workers in Colorado. It then awards scholarships based on its selection criteria. In the 2017-2018 school year, the Pinnacol Foundation awarded a total of $404,160 to 112 students. The scholarship funds provided are sent directly to the institution where a student is enrolled and applied to the tuition owed. Eligible institutions include any university, college, community college or vocational school accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or other accrediting organizations. The school can be in Colorado or in other states.

The Pinnacol Foundation’s website notes that its scholarships are awarded in a competitive process and that total funds are limited. It encourages applicants to get started as soon as possible. To be considered, the applicant must be between the ages of 16 and 25,be the child of a worker who was eligible for Colorado workers’ compensation benefits, and meet certain other requirements. You can learn more about the program and start the application process here.

If you have suffered a work injury and you are not getting the workers’ compensation benefits you are entitled to receive, speak with an attorney.




FindLaw Network

Contact Our Attorneys