Helping You Get The Benefits You Need

Free Consultations

Choosing a medical provider for workers’ comp

On Behalf of | Jul 7, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

Workers in Colorado should be aware of their rights when it comes to workers’ compensation claims. No one wants to think about the possibility of being injured on the job, but it can happen to anyone. Navigating the workers’ comp system can be challenging, especially when dealing with physical pain. It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the system before you need it.

Medical providers

When someone is injured on the job, they should seek medical attention and then file a workers’ compensation claim. Usually, employers will provide them with a list of the clinics or doctors they’re affiliated with. If this is the case, the worker must pick one. If they haven’t received a list within a week, they can use the provider of their choice. Some employers also give workers the option to designate their own physician when filling out hiring paperwork.

For many workers, doctor’s appointments take place during the time workers would normally be on the clock. It’s a good idea for workers to coordinate with their employers a good time to see a physician. Workers should also write down the work hours they lose to treatment and follow-up visits. It’s possible they can receive workers’ comp benefits for that time.

Maximum medical improvement

The goal for anyone receiving workers’ compensation benefits is to reach maximum medical improvement. Hopefully, this will see a worker restored to full health and an ability to work full-time. If a worker needs treatment to maintain their recovery, the doctor can recommend that it be covered. If someone has an impairment that is permanent, a doctor will have to measure it. Then, they’ll communicate that rating to the program.

In Colorado, workers’ compensation is a complicated system. It can be a good idea to speak with an attorney about any on-the-job injury. A legal professional may provide you with assistance in filing a claim and help you understand whether you can possibly sue the employer or a third party and recover damages.


FindLaw Network

Contact Our Attorneys