Denver Corrections Officer Injury Attorney

If you or a loved one is a corrections officer in Denver who has been injured on the job, the Eley Law Firm’s experienced Denver workplace injury lawyers can help you navigate the complex workers’ compensation system and get you the benefits you deserve. Our transparent fee structure makes it simple to work with us.

Request a free, no-obligation review and consultation in your case today.

If I Am Injured As A Corrections Officer, What Benefits Could I Receive?

In Colorado, corrections officers who work at a Colorado Department of Corrections (DOC) facility are employed by the Colorado DOC. This is an important distinction for workers’ compensation, as the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) also has three corrections facilities in the state. Employees injured in a BOP facility will be subject to federal workers’ compensation policies.

We also work with police officers who were injured in the line of duty. Our Denver police injury attorneys can help you determine the maximum compensation for your claim under your agency’s policies.

Colorado Corrections Officer Workhttp://denver-police-injury-lawyer/ers’ Compensation Policies

The workers’ compensation policy for the Colorado DOC can be found under the heading labeled Human Relations under section 1450-39 in the Colorado DOC’s policy handbook.

Pursuant to the Administrative Regulations of the Colorado DOC, individuals who receive a work-related injury or illness can receive full base pay for “90 approved occurrences of lost time.”

At the 91st approved occurrence of lost time, the injured corrections officers’ wages will shift to being paid by the workers’ compensation administrator for a portion of the salary. The employee must make up the difference paid by the workers’ compensation plan and the employee’s base pay through using leave.

When all leave has been exhausted (as it is not reimbursable), the employee will be placed on unpaid leave and will only receive their workers’ compensation benefit as dictated by the third-party workers’ compensation administrator.

Documentation Requirements For Corrections Officer Workers’ Compensation

The Colorado DOC has fairly extensive documentation requirements for those rightfully needing to receive workers’ compensation for their injury or illness. A failure to submit paperwork in a timely fashion largely results in the injury victim not being compensated and their leave not coded as workers’ compensation – subtracting that from their personal or sick leave balances.

A good workers’ compensation law partner can help injured corrections officers sort out the mounting documentation, invoices, and paperwork required by the Colorado DOC, such as:

      • Assisting with the critical data section of AR Form 1450-39C, First Report of Injury Form
      • Helping with witness statements or incident reports for the AR Form 1450-39C
      • Filling out the AR Form 1450-39F, Workers Compensation Employee’s Weekly Lost Time Report
      • Helping collect workers’ compensation physician’s report(s)

Corrections Officer Injury Workers’ Compensation In Denver

As previously discussed, the DOC and their third-party claims administrator have strict reporting and documentation requirements for workers’ compensation cases. If you’ve been injured on the job, managing the details surrounding your case can be complicated at the best of times. In the worst of times, and the state wrongfully denies your claim, there may be legal action you can take in a Colorado civil court or appeals process.

Eley Law Firm has 30 years experiencing navigating the complexities of workers’ compensation law in Colorado. If the system has wronged you, we can help you recover the compensation and benefits you deserve.

Request your free, no-obligation Denver corrections officer workplace injury case review today.

Schedule your free case evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.